Periodontal disease is one of the most common diseases of any kind, with nearly 80 percent of Americans having some form of it. It is also, unfortunately, a disease ignored by many — often due to fear of what the treatment may be. Fortunately for you, here at Marcus Dental Practice, we are among the select few that can provide a minimally invasive treatment called LANAP®.
How Does LANAP® Work?
LANAP®, an acronym for “Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure,” uses a special laser to avoid the painful and invasive cutting and stitching that the scalpel of conventional surgical procedures requires. The proprietary laser targets diseased tissue while leaving the remaining healthy gum tissue alone. The laser penetrates the gum, killing the bacteria, and then interacts with your hemoglobin to form a clot to minimize bleeding. Typically, half the mouth is done in a session.
LANAP® Provides Many Benefits
Traditional treatment for gum disease involves cutting into the gum tissue, folding it back, and then manually cleaning teeth to remove plaque and tartar below the gum line. We use LANAP® instead of the old cut-and-sew approach because there are so many benefits, including:
- Less Pain — Because there is no cutting, it is less painful both during the procedure and during post-procedure recovery.
- Less Bleeding — No cutting also means less bleeding and the reduced risk of complications that goes along with that.
- No Significant Reduction of the Gum Line — Traditional surgery involves cutting the gum line to decrease pocket depth, which in turn can affect the appearance of your smile. It also may expose roots, causing increased sensitivity and pain. LANAP® doesn’t damage surrounding healthy tissue, so there is little to no gum recession and you will retain your natural smile.
- Significantly Faster Recovery — Healing time is greatly reduced. The LANAP® laser sanitizes the area, reduces inflammation and fights infection. It’s the only procedure to be proven to stimulate and regenerate tissue and bone after treatment for gum disease. With LANAP® you typically can return to your regular schedule almost immediately — usually within 24 hours.
- More Effective Results — LANAP® is a safe, minimally invasive treatment that doesn’t compromise healthy bone or tissue. Without the additional tissue damage that goes with traditional methods, it is possible to save teeth that would otherwise be hopeless cases because too much gum tissue would have been sacrificed.
LANAP® is most effective for moderate to severe periodontal disease, but everyone can benefit from the treatment. At Marcus Dental Practice, our goal is to stay up to date with the latest technology to ensure your dental needs are met with the utmost in comfort and satisfaction. We proudly serve the Chicago, Illinois, area, so call today for a consultation or appointment!